PCB Layout Designer
OTTO – designed, manufactured and precision tested, right here in the USA.
PCB Layout Designer will perform all aspects of Printed Circuit Design including, creation and maintaining library components, collaborating with Electrical and Mechanical Engineering to converting schematics and board outlines & keep-outs into multi-layer printed circuit board designs, and providing quote and fabrication files to CMs and circuit board fabricators. Basic understanding of schematics circuit functions is needed to implement layout strategies necessary for optimal ESD, EMC, Power and Ground performance. Attention to board fabrication guidelines and design rules is paramount.
Note: The PCB Layout Designer opportunity has the option to work at either our corporate headquarters in Carpentersville or at our Chicago-based location (with periodic visits to Carpentersville).
Specifically, the PCB Layout Designer will:
- Create and maintain new components into the OTTO PCB library (including schematic symbol, pads, solder mask, 3D geometry)
- Understand electronic symbols and basic circuit purpose and functions
- Implement strategic layouts with proper planning for power and ground, ESD, and EMC
- Collaborate with the Mechanical Engineering Team to establish board outlines and keep-outs
- Collaborate with the Electrical Engineering Team to import schematics, establish part placement, layer strategy, test and programming, and understand the design goals & requirements
- Collaborate with the factory to ensure a manufacturable and testable design
- Implement layouts following PCB tool design rules, OTTO processes & lessons learned, as well an understanding of cost tradeoffs and board fabrication constraints
- Keen awareness of quality, cost and project schedules
- Prepare fabrication/quote files, prints, and Bills of Material as needed to printed circuit board fabrication firms, contract manufacturers, and Solder stencil fabricators
- Work on new designs as well as maintain and update old designs, including on occasion importing or converting PCBs from an older CAD system to Altium
- Evaluate new versions / updates of the Altium PCB Layout tool. Ensure backward compatibility and stable platform prior to deployment
- Act as Altium system administrator for the department, including installing Altium into new PCs, ensuring all users are on the same version of Altium. Contacting Altium with any anomalies
- Contribute to maintaining and improving the OTTO Printed Circuit Board Layout process to ensure high quality
- Assist with other related duties as required or assigned
What you’ll need to bring to the table:
- Minimum 10 to 15 years of Printed Circuit Board (PCB) layout experience
- Technical Associates Degree or better
- Circuit Layout CAD training certificates / credentials
- At least 5 years of experience is required in Altium
- A self-assertive individual that will take the initiative to quickly gain product knowledge and be able to apply that knowledge with minimal direction
- Self-motivated, team-oriented individual who can work independently and can multiplex several tasks
- Maintain focus on project schedules and follow through to meet them
- Strong Attention to detail and quality
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft tools such as Excel, Word, etc.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k) with a company match
- Tuition Assistance
- Life Insurance Benefits
- Competitive Pay
- Profit Sharing Bonus
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
- Company Picnic
- Holiday Party
- AND numerous OTTO celebrations throughout the year!
To review all of OTTO’s available opportunities,
please visit our career page by clicking on the link below:
OTTO Engineering is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran
OTTO Engineering does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party recruiters, agencies, or similar organizations; any submissions will not be honored.